More than two dozen people are in quarantine after a 15-year-old boy died of bubonic plague sparking fears of a fresh Black Death outbreak.
Mongolia’s health ministry announced the teen’s death, saying he fell ill after eating raw marmot meat with two of his friends.
The 15-year-old boy’s death was initially being treated as a suspected case, but an official from the health ministry told reporters on Tuesday that lab test results had confirmed the teen was killed by bubonic plague.
The boy, who lived in the province of Govi-Altai in western Mongolia, came down with a high fever and died after he ate marmot meat with two of his friends three days before his death.
Dorj Narangerel, a health ministry official, said: “The result of a polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test revealed on Monday night that bubonic plague caused the death of a 15-year-old boy.”
His two friends and 15 others who had contact with them have been isolated in a bid to curb the spread of the disease, and treated at local hospitals, an official said.