Zane Wedding said he initially thought the problem was just water in his ear and later gave the insect to the ear specialist as a memento
Zane Wedding said he initially thought the problem was just water in his ear. The Aucklander had been for a swim at a local pool on Friday morning and fell asleep on his couch that evening. He woke up with a blocked ear – and the feeling there was something wriggling inside.
On Saturday, Wedding had his ear syringed. He was given antibiotics, instructions to blow-dry the side of his head, and a suggestion he return if he still felt movement.
“Immediately after, it felt way worse,” said Wedding. He went deaf in one ear and was unable to sleep. The hairdryer didn’t help. He joked: “I’ve been cooking it [with the hairdryer] since Saturday.”
“Literally the second she looked, she said, ‘Oh my god … I think you have an insect in your ear.’” It took a few minutes, a suction device and tweezers to pull the now-dead cockroach from Wedding’s ear.