An online trend that involves using tiny magnets as fake tongue piercings has led the NHS to call for them to be banned amid people swallowing them.
It said the "neodymium or 'super strong' rare-earth magnets are sold as toys, decorative items and fake piercings, and are becoming increasingly popular".
It added that unlike traditional ones, "these 'super strong' magnets are small in volume but powerful in magnetism and easily swallowed".
The online trend sees people placing two such magnets on either side of their tongue to create the illusion that the supposed piercing is real.
But when accidentally swallowed, the small magnetic ball bearings are forced together in the intestines or bowels, squeezing the tissue so that the blood supply is cut off.
Prof Simon Kenny, paediatric surgeon and national clinical director for children and young people at NHS England, said accidental swallowing of them can cause "long-term physical problems and internal scarring".