Energy Safe Victoria (ESV) has concluded the Victorian Big Battery (VBB) fire most likely resulted after a cooling system leak caused a short circuit in an electrical component in a Megapack.
The independent energy safety regulator delivered its findings following an almost two-month investigation into the late July blaze at the Moorabool site. ESV conducted extensive investigations at the site while analysing data from site owner Neoen and its contractors UGL and Tesla, which operate the site.
After extensive enquiries, ESV found a Megapack cooling system leak caused a short circuit resulting in overheating that led to a fire in a nearby battery compartment, which consequently damaged two Megapacks.
There were further contributory factors with the Megapack in question being switched into an off-line service mode, resulting in the protection systems being inactive.