Italy’s customs agency denied five rich Americans entry to the country after they landed on a private jet for a vacation on the island of Sardinia, according to reports.
After a huge spike in coronavirus cases in Texas and other reopened states, Italy and other European Union countries last week extended a travel restriction banning entry to U.S. tourists for another next two weeks, the New York Post reported.
Passengers wearing protective face masks walk at Fiumicino Airport on the day EU governments agreed a "safe list" of 14 countries for which they will allow non-essential travel starting from July, following the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak, in Rome, Italy, June 30, 2020. (REUTERS/Guglielmo Mangiapane)
Customs officials told the Americans they would be “repatriated” immediately as the jet’s other passengers were told they could stay but had to abide by a mandatory two-week quarantine, the Post reported. Those other passengers were from Italy, New Zealand and England.